Almond Poached Pear Brioche Cake with red Wine Caramel
Yield: 10 servings
For the brioche:
- 2 ¼ cups bread flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 package Yeast 2¼ tsp, ¼ oz, 7g
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 9 tbsp cold unsalted butter cubed
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
For the red wine caramel:
- 2 cups Somerset Ridge Flyboy Red Wine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of cloves
- For the topping:
- 3 ripe pears peeled, cored and sliced into 8 slices each
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add dry ingredients and butter to a food processor. Pulse until dough becomes sandy with pea-size pieces of butter. Add eggs, one at a time, pulsing to incorporate after each addition.
- Add milk with last egg and pulse until dough forms and everything is evenly combined.
- Prepare a 10-inch spring-form pan by lightly spraying with a baking spray containing flour.
- Place a parchment circle on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Scrape dough into prepared pan. Spray hands with baking spray as dough will be very sticky. Gently press into the bottom.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise at warm room temperature for 2 hours until puffy but not necessarily doubled in size.
- While dough rises, whisk together Flyboy Red wine, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a medium sauce pan. Place pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking until sugar has dissolved. Add pears, reduce to a simmer and cook until pears just until fork tender, 6-8minutes. Remove pears with a slotted spoon. Set aside to cool.
- Return wine mixture to a low boil and reduce until very thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and set aside for serving.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Top risen brioche with cooled poached pears and sprinkle edge with sliced almonds.
- Bake in preheated oven 45-55 minutes until dark, golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove sides from pan and cool on a wire rack. Slice into wedges and serve drizzled with red wine caramel.