Somerset Ridge Dried Fruit Chutney
Serve this wonderfully flavored and simple Dried Fruit Chutney over Blue Cheese, Brie or Goat Cheese alongside crackers and crusty French bread. Add fresh grapes and olives for a well-rounded tray. Perfect!
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups Somerset Ridge Riesling Wine
- 1 cup fresh apple cider
- 1 cup chopped dried pears
- 1 cup chopped dried Fuji Apples
- 3/4 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped dried figs
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/3-1/2 cup raw sugar to taste
- Place tbsp olive oil and butter in large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Once butter has melted, turn heat down to medium low and cook onions until brown and caramelized. Stirring often. (about 20 minutes)
- In the meantime, place dried fruit, apple cider vinegar, 2 cups Somerset Ridge Riesling Wine, brandy, ginger, lemon zest and all other seasonings into large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes until fruit has softened and water is absorbed.
- Check occasionally and add water if necessary to prevent fruit from scorching if the fruit is absorbing water to fast.
- Once fruit has softened, stir in caramelized onions, balsamic vinegar and raw sugar.
- Cool and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend.