Hot Caramelized Onion Dip
A hot caramelized onion dip with bacon and gruyere and a touch of Somerset Ridge Tawny for an amazing appetizer!
Servings: 6 people
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 sweet onions halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp Somerset Ridge Tawny Port
- 1/4 tsp tabasco
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook bacon in a large non-stick skillet
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Crumble.
- Add onions, sugar, and salt to bacon fat in the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until onions turn a deep golden brown color (can take as long as 20 minutes). Don't burn the onions!
- Add Somerset Ridge Tawny Port and cook 1 minute
- Stir in thyme and tabasco
- Remove from heat
- Mix together sour cream and mayo in a medium bowl
- Add crumbled bacon, cheese, onion mixture, and black pepper
- Mix together well and transfer to a 2-cup backing dish
- Bake 20 minutes, or until bubbly and gold brown on top