Lentil Shallot Dip
This delicious dip’s vegetarian combination of caramelized shallots with a touch of Tawny Port will remind you of the wonderful flavors of paté. Or, it would be amazing as a spread!
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 onion halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more, to taste
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 shallots peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp Somerset Ridge Tawny Port
- 1/2 tsp black pepper plus more, to taste
- Rinse the lentils and place in a medium pot and cover with 5 cups water.
- Add the onion and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in salt and set aside to cool.
- While lentils cool, melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until shallots start to caramelize, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the Tawny and stir, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return to the heat and cook until all the liquid is gone.
- Drain the lentils.
- Pick out and discard the onion and bay leaves.
- In a food processor, pulse the lentils, shallots and black pepper into a pate-like puree.
- Add more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl or small baking dish for serving.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours, and up to overnight, allowing the flavors to mellow and blend.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.