Lucky Dog Hard Cider Pork Pot Roast
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 5 lb boneless pork shoulder 6 pounds if bone-in
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions cut into 2-inch wedges
- 2 cups Somerset Ridge Lucy Dog Hard Cider
- 2 tart apples I like Granny Smith, cored and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Season the pork with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the pork and brown well on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the pork and add the onion wedges to the pot. Cook for a few minutes, letting them get a little color but being careful not to let them burn.
- Return the pork to the pot, placing it on the bed of onions. Add the Lucky Dog and 1 cup water and bring to a simmer, then wedge the apple pieces under the meat among the onions. Toss in the thyme.
- Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender, shreds easily, and is a deep brown color; the apples will have caramelized.